Category Archives: Community

Preparation

12 Minutes.  That’s it.  12 minutes. The training is at a minimum 60 minutes X 6 days X however many months.  We clock in close to 4000 minutes to complete 12! During our training,  I’ve asked my fighter to suffer … Continue reading

Posted in Community, competition | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

A little lesson from Zen

Lately, coach Jen has been attending a sitting meditation group at SU called Eco Sangha.  Through this group came an opportunity to attend a full day meditation that consisted of sitting, walking, working and eating- all in silence. Honestly, it … Continue reading

Posted in Coach's Corner, Community | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

Absolutes

There is a type of mindset that some athletes struggle with.  I call it Absolute.  If they have a “bad” sparring session, they consider themselves to be a “bad” boxer.  If they have a “good” sparring session, they consider themselves … Continue reading

Posted in Community, competition | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 3 Comments

Impact

Sometimes I’ll feel an urge to write, but I won’t have a clue how to put all my thoughts down in tangible sentences.  Yesterday felt larger than daily life.  So many current events that seem inexplicable to me.  I watched … Continue reading

Posted in Coach's Corner, Community, self awareness | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

The Artist and the Boxer 4

The Artist and the boxer started as a vision.  I wanted the boxing gym to be a space where creativity could be expressed and witnessed outside of the traditional boxing context.  I wanted boxers and the outside world to interact … Continue reading

Posted in Community | Tagged , , , , , , , , , ,

Boxing Spirituality

Through boxing I have found my spirituality.  My most authentic experience from the inside out.  Through boxing I have discovered the true meaning and power in never arriving at any destination.  I have finally gotten an initial grasp of the … Continue reading

Posted in Coach's Corner, Community | Tagged , , , , , , , , | 3 Comments

Here we go

I just got back after a few days away from the gym.  It felt amazing to step away and leave business in the hands of others.  I’m grateful for the ability to get away and not have to worry about … Continue reading

Posted in Coach's Corner, Community | Tagged , , , , , ,

KO Parkinson’s Debut March 3rd!

You may have noticed a unique community punching the bags and practicing their footwork alongside fitness, recreational, and competitive boxers. They are members battling Parkinson’s Disease through boxing. We’ve enjoyed the energy they bring to the gym, and it’s been … Continue reading

Posted in Boxing, Community, Parkinson's | Tagged , , , , , ,

So Many Styles

There are many styles and techniques in boxing.  As many ways as there are to express ourselves, there are ways to box.  All styles have the same fundamentals as a foundation. The coaches at Arcaro firmly believe in a strong … Continue reading

Posted in Coach's Corner, Community | Tagged , , ,

GUEST BOXER RORY SANTOS

In 1928, women were struggling for the right to run track and field in the Olympics.  It was common belief that women would ruin their reproductive capabilities and that they were emotionally incapable of handling this type of competition. Fast … Continue reading

Posted in Community, competition, Olympics | Tagged , , , , ,