When you hit the heavy bag, do you hold your breath, breathe out sharply, breathe out measured? Can you exhale and inhale all the way into your belly? I was observing boxers hitting the bag and checking out how breathing impacted their form and power. Things I saw: Shoulders tense, shoulders shrug, jaw clenches, face tightens and an overall tension when making impact. These characteristics prevented power from flowing through to the bag. Next time you are hitting the heavy bag, try a breathing experiment…….relax the jaw, drop the shoulders, blow breath out puffing cheeks slightly and deliver a punch. Next, clench jaw, shrug shoulders, force breath out and deliver a punch. See if there are any differences in your power.
Review us on Yelp!
Arcaro Boxing named Top 40 Boxing Blog on Feedspot!!!
- Follow Arcaro Boxing Gym on WordPress.com
- Footwork July 25, 2017
- Punch Technicians July 13, 2017
- A few Monday thoughts…. June 26, 2017
- A lil plug June 20, 2017
- 7789 June 1, 2017
- A little lesson from Zen May 22, 2017
- The Space between May 17, 2017
- Where we come from April 27, 2017
- The Building of a Champion April 23, 2017
- Top of the mountain alone? April 5, 2017
Arcaro Boxing Gym206-250-3655See Schedule page for gym hours