When you hit the heavy bag, do you hold your breath, breathe out sharply, breathe out measured? Can you exhale and inhale all the way into your belly? I was observing boxers hitting the bag and checking out how breathing impacted their form and power. Things I saw: Shoulders tense, shoulders shrug, jaw clenches, face tightens and an overall tension when making impact. These characteristics prevented power from flowing through to the bag. Next time you are hitting the heavy bag, try a breathing experiment…….relax the jaw, drop the shoulders, blow breath out puffing cheeks slightly and deliver a punch. Next, clench jaw, shrug shoulders, force breath out and deliver a punch. See if there are any differences in your power.
Find us on Yelp!
Arcaro Boxing named Top 40 Boxing Blog on Feedspot!!!
- Follow Arcaro Boxing Gym – Seattle, WA on WordPress.com
- the mechanics February 17, 2019
- More on a skilled life February 11, 2019
- Living a skilled life February 8, 2019
- through the cracks……emerge February 6, 2019
- living life with no choice February 4, 2019
- overhearing conversations January 17, 2019
- In the Below January 14, 2019
- Environment January 10, 2019
- Failure January 7, 2019
- Meeting your edges December 28, 2018
Arcaro Boxing Gym206-250-3655See Schedule page for gym hours