When you hit the heavy bag, do you hold your breath, breathe out sharply, breathe out measured? Can you exhale and inhale all the way into your belly? I was observing boxers hitting the bag and checking out how breathing impacted their form and power. Things I saw: Shoulders tense, shoulders shrug, jaw clenches, face tightens and an overall tension when making impact. These characteristics prevented power from flowing through to the bag. Next time you are hitting the heavy bag, try a breathing experiment…….relax the jaw, drop the shoulders, blow breath out puffing cheeks slightly and deliver a punch. Next, clench jaw, shrug shoulders, force breath out and deliver a punch. See if there are any differences in your power.
Find us on Yelp!
Arcaro Boxing named Top 40 Boxing Blog on Feedspot!!!
- Follow Arcaro Boxing Gym – Seattle, WA on WordPress.com
- Control(ling) November 19, 2018
- You have to go to know November 6, 2018
- (no title) October 27, 2018
- Sherpa October 16, 2018
- Mobility October 15, 2018
- Reflections October 1, 2018
- Giving Space September 19, 2018
- The gap September 14, 2018
- trepidation September 9, 2018
- Timing and rhythm September 3, 2018
Arcaro Boxing Gym206-250-3655See Schedule page for gym hours