When you hit the heavy bag, do you hold your breath, breathe out sharply, breathe out measured? Can you exhale and inhale all the way into your belly? I was observing boxers hitting the bag and checking out how breathing impacted their form and power. Things I saw: Shoulders tense, shoulders shrug, jaw clenches, face tightens and an overall tension when making impact. These characteristics prevented power from flowing through to the bag. Next time you are hitting the heavy bag, try a breathing experiment…….relax the jaw, drop the shoulders, blow breath out puffing cheeks slightly and deliver a punch. Next, clench jaw, shrug shoulders, force breath out and deliver a punch. See if there are any differences in your power.
Review us on Yelp!
Arcaro Boxing named Top 40 Boxing Blog on Feedspot!!!
- Follow Arcaro Boxing Gym on WordPress.com
- Competitive season January 18, 2018
- Boss Paradigm January 5, 2018
- Time Alone December 31, 2017
- Road Trip for the Soul December 27, 2017
- A “Good Chin” December 18, 2017
- 2018 thoughts December 16, 2017
- Space and Silence December 12, 2017
- It’s a gonna be a fight December 2, 2017
- A little something about the source December 1, 2017
- Vision November 29, 2017
Arcaro Boxing Gym206-250-3655See Schedule page for gym hours