When you hit the heavy bag, do you hold your breath, breathe out sharply, breathe out measured? Can you exhale and inhale all the way into your belly? I was observing boxers hitting the bag and checking out how breathing impacted their form and power. Things I saw: Shoulders tense, shoulders shrug, jaw clenches, face tightens and an overall tension when making impact. These characteristics prevented power from flowing through to the bag. Next time you are hitting the heavy bag, try a breathing experiment…….relax the jaw, drop the shoulders, blow breath out puffing cheeks slightly and deliver a punch. Next, clench jaw, shrug shoulders, force breath out and deliver a punch. See if there are any differences in your power.
Review us on Yelp!
Arcaro Boxing named Top 40 Boxing Blog on Feedspot!!!
- Follow Arcaro Boxing Gym on WordPress.com
- A Mountainous Experience October 16, 2017
- Preparation October 14, 2017
- The Paradox October 5, 2017
- Possibility September 29, 2017
- Boxing as Applied Humanities September 27, 2017
- Repetition September 23, 2017
- This boxing thing September 21, 2017
- Thoughts from afar September 4, 2017
- Boxing education August 31, 2017
- Life is a giant sparring session August 23, 2017
Arcaro Boxing Gym206-250-3655See Schedule page for gym hours